The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) Previously known as Bombay Municipal Corporation. It is the governing civic body of Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra.
Its last election for 227 seats held in 2017 and upcoming election is due in early 2022. Recently state election commission had meeting regarding election and covid-19 pandemic scenario.
But why BMC election is so special that right from streets of Mumbai to corridors of national capital Delhi people are interested in it?
- It is India’s richest municipal corporation.
- The MCGM’s annual budget exceeds that of some of India’s smaller states
- Established in 1888 by Bombay Municipal Corporation Act 1888
- MCGM is responsible for the civic infrastructure and administration of the city and some suburbs.
- It holds its jurisdiction over most prime area on India
- Huge impact on local level so can influence assembly seats as Mumbai accounts for significant seats for Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
- Most cosmopolitan city of India , So lot of scope for liberal development
If election could not held due to covid-19 pandemic then BMC’s admiration might go entirety in BMC Commissioner’s hand in absence of elected mayor.
What are current numbers in BMC body?
Shivsena is dominant in BMC elections, Among total 227 members, currently it holds maximum members(97) followed by BJP(82) , INC(30), NCP(9), SP(6), AIMIM(2), MNS(1)
Also read About: Mamata Banarjee