NASHIK/AURANGABAD: The bandh called in Malegaon and Nanded to protest the recent violence in Tripura took a violent turn on Friday as stones were thrown at some shops and police personnel.
In Malegaon, over a dozen people were injured, including 10 policemen. Two police personnel have been admitted to a hospital for treatment but their condition is stable, the local police said. The police have detained four people in connection with the incident so far. In Nanded, eight policemen — an ASP, an inspector and six constables — were injured. At least three vehicles were damaged in stone-pelting, while a two-wheeler was set on fire.
Malegaon police said that a large number of bandh supporters were returning after submitting a memorandum to the local administration. When they reached the new bus stand area of the textile town, they saw some shops open and started throwing stones at those outlets.
DIG (Nashik Range) B G Shekhar Patil told TOI that the police had a tough time bringing the situation under control as the group kept throwing stones at policemen. “The police had to resort to a mild lathi charge to bring the situation under control. There was tension in the area for about an hour. The situation is now under control,” Patil said.
Nashik SP Sachin Patil said the protesters threw stones at a building with shops in the basement and a hospital on the first and second floors. Some windowpanes of the hospital were broken. Both the DIG and the SP are camping in Malegaon.
Nanded SP Pramodkumar Shewale told TOI that after giving a memorandum to the tehsildar at around 3 pm, the gathering had started to disperse when some members tried to head towards the district collector’s office by passing through mixed localities but were stopped by policemen and officers. As a result, they started pelting stones, injuring policemen.
The suspects have been booked at Itwara police station on charges of attempt to murder, using criminal force to deter government employee from performing official duty, rioting, and unlawful assembly. The injured officers include ASP Nilesh More and Itwara police station inspector Sahebrao Narwada, while one constable suffered a fractured leg.

Source link